The Structured Workplace Learning Program is a statewide initiative that supports the facilitation and coordination of Workplace Learning placements for senior secondary school students engaged in Structured Workplace Learning or School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships.
The Banyule Nillumbik LLEN is proud to be the service provider for the Structured Workplace Learning Program in Banyule and Nillumbik.
The Banyule Nillumbik LLEN Structured Workplace Learning Program aims to:
– Increase the number of young people undertaking Workplace Learning placements, including SBATs, especially in areas that provide strong vocational outcomes.
– Increase the alignment of VCAL and VET provision and local industry needs.
– Increase the number of Koori young people undertaking workplace learning.
– Increase the number of students with barriers to learning and employment (such as individual support needs, cultural and language diversity) undertaking workplace learning.
– Promote workplace learning to industry and small business to increase the understanding of the benefits of workplace learning to local enterprises.
Structured Workplace Learning Coordinators will work with educational providers, training organisations, local industry, small business and local government to achieve these goals.
Structured Workplace Learning (SWL)
Senior Secondary School students undertaking Vocational Education and Training programs (VET), the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) or the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) subject Industry and Enterprise can undertake a work placement in either one-week blocks or on a one day per week basis during their senior years. These placements are quite “hands on” and students are expected to undertake tasks in the workplace related to their course of study.
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBATs)
Students can undertake a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship while they are still at school. This involves a combination of secondary school subjects, paid work and vocational training undertaken on or off the job. The training is delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), with employment contracts and mentoring support facilitated by an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider (AASN). The Structured Workplace Learning team have relationships with RTOs and AASNs all over the state so can help with the steps required to sign up a student into an SBAT.
Launched in May 2016, the SWL Statewide Portal is an online resource, where the LLEN Network advertises quality placement opportunities sourced with local employers. It enables employers to define the tasks and duties students could experience in the workplace, along with the skills students may develop which align with their Vocational Training. The portal also helps school students to find and apply for suitable work placements with employers across Victoria.
Please click on the links provided to see the range of opportunities currently available.
P | 0425 922 992
P | 0425 400 508